Interested in joining the SVA?  Email Gabi at  Meetings will be held on Thursdays in CUB 239 at 3:30pm

spacer image

Contact Us


Gabi Willard

Vice President
Katie Andrews

Coby Bryner

Gabi Willard

Faculty Advisor
Bill Lloyd

You can email Hunter at if you have any questions or want to join.

Veteran's Service Office
Box 19
1871 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg University
Shippensburg, PA 17257 

spacer image

Chapter 1606


Your Reserve or Guard component will code your eligibility into the DoD (Department of Defense) personnel system if you become eligible.

You can be eligible for chapter 1606 benefits, if you meet the following requirements:

  • Incur a six-year Selected Reserve Obligation. You must enter into a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve. If you're an officer, you must agree to serve six years in addition to your current obligation.
  • Complete your IADT (Initial Active Duty for Training).
  • Maintain Selected Reserve Status. Serve in a drilling Selected Re-serve unit and remain in good standing.
  • Complete High School. You must obtain a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before you apply for benefits.


  • MGIB-AD "2 x 4" Eligibility. You aren't eligible for the MGIB- SR if you elected to have your total service in the Selected Reserve credited toward establishing your eligibility under the Montgomery GI Bill- Active Duty (MGIB- AD) "2 x 4" program.
    (The 2 x 4 program allows an individual to become eligible for the MGIB- AD with two continuous years of active duty and a four-year Selected Reserve obligation. The individual must enter the Selected Reserve within one year of release from active duty.)
  • However, if you obligate another six years in the Selected Reserve, you can be eligible for both the MGIB- AD and the MGIB- SR.

Suspension of Eligibility:

Following are circumstances that will suspend your eligibility:

  • Entering AGR (Active Guard and Reserve) status. You can resume MGIB- SR eligibility after your AGR status ends, if you return to the Selected Reserve within one year. You can be eligible for the (MGIB- AD) based on your AGR service. 
  • Unsatisfactory Participation. If your component notifies you that you have failed to participate satisfactorily in the Selected Reserve, your eligibility is suspended. It can only be resyour component determines that you have participated satisfactorily.
  • Receiving a Senior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (SROTC) scholarship. You can't receive the MGIB- SR while you're receiving a scholarship through the SROTC program under section 2107 of title 10, U.S. Code. Individuals receiving this type of ROTC scholarship agree to serve as officers on active duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps.

If you receive only a monthly stipend, you can still be eligible for MGIB-SR.

There's no restriction against service academy graduates receiving MGIB-SR benefits. (Service academy graduates who received a commission aren't eligible under the MGIB- AD, with some exceptions.)

Note: If you receive an ROTC scholarship under section 2107a of title 10, U.S. Code, you can still be eligible for the MGIB-SR. Individuals receiving this type of ROTC scholarship agree to serve as officers in either the Army Reserve or the Army National Guard.

Information Links: