Join Us!

Are you a prospective student at Ship and interested in joining the SUMB?

Fill out the form below.

Click Here

spacer image

Contact Us

Director of Bands

Trever Famulare 


Department Secretary

Karen Reath

President of Bands

Tara Bennett

Social Media





spacer image

Shippensburg University

"Red Raider" Marching Band

SUMB on Field 

The Shippensburg University "Red Raider" Marching Band is a corps-style marching band which performs diverse styles of music while executing challenging, contemporary marching drill. The band performs at all "Red Raider" home football games and at several away games throughout the season. The band is an annual participant in the Collegiate Marching Band Festival in Allentown, and performs exhibition performances in band festivals and competitions throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland as well as feature performances for the Cavalcade of Bands and the Tournament of Bands Championships. The band's repertoire consists of various styles of music including classical, jazz, pop, and traditional marches. Membership is open to wind and percussion musicians, and front members including silks/rifles, and majorettes.


Frequently Asked Questions  

Q. Is there an audition requirement? 

A. There is no audition required to be a wind member of the SUMB. However, there are auditions required if you are interested in the Drumline, Color Guard, or Majorettes.

Q. When are rehearsals/performances? 

A. Rehearsals are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 3:30PM-5:30PM. The SUMB performs at all home football games, and some away games. We also have exhibition performances at high school band competitions, and the Collegiate Marching Band Festival in Allentown, PA.

Q. Do I have to be a music major to join? 

A. Not at all! Shippensburg University does not offer a music major. Anyone is able to join the SUMB regardless of their major or field of interest.

Q. How much does membership cost? 

A. There is uniform deposit, banquet deposit, and some apparel items that need to be purchased. However, the total expense should not exceed $150.

Q. Can I receive Academic Credit? 

A. Yes, any SUMB member is eligible to receive one academic credit for the fall semester. Only three band credits may be used towards graduation.

Q. When is band camp? 

A. Band camp begins approximately 10 days prior to the first day of classes. Band camp includes meals and all on-campus students will move into their Residence Halls for the duration of camp.